Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Walking in the Stadium


Saturday August 6, 2010

Today I attended the World Barefoot Council meeting so I knew what to expect in the future of our sport. At 6 pm we had opening ceremonies and it was the best ever as compared to 2006 and 2008 Worlds. At this World Championships, there were 17 countries present, I’ll try to remember as many as I can, South Korea, China, New Zealand, Austria, Germany, France, Italy, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Austria, USA, Canada, …

Walking in the Stadium with the USA team with our colors is always special, and the stadium was packed with family, friends, and locals. There was entertainment, Brazilian dances, acrobatics, as well as an amazing show of Fire Works. Since we are Germany, it;s October feast all day.

Sunday August 8, 2010

Today skiing started at 1 pm, I checked the schedule and I didn’t ski today, so I slept late, as late as I can with bright light at 5:45 am and windows open… Started working on the 2011 NEC Changes document till about 8 am, then went downstairs for breakfast with some of the USA and Canada team members. Back up to the room for some more 2011 NEC Changes stuff, then off to the site about 11 am.

Just hung out at the site, learned about how the proposed Video Judging program worked and all of the technical details on operation as well as equipment. I’m not sure about Video Judging, the camera angle is high (on the tower), when video review is required, all video is on the hard drive that they are real time recording, it’s hard to find the skier that skied previously to do a video review by the judges when required. Also hardware/software is about $1000. I’m a cutting edge guy so I’m not down on new technology, just don’t know if they are going to get it working at this Worlds for the Finals or Semi’s, well see.

Hanged around like you typically do at a barefoot event, just move from group to group, visit, talk barefoot stuff, get to know new persons and personalities, then move on again. About 5 pm went to dinner with Doug Jordan (great Senior skier from Washington State) and his family, Judy Myers (oldest person to every ski a World Championships – 67, and in a lot of women magazines), and Jim Forester (great looking guy, with a wonderful personality).

Noting exciting happened to day at the tournament, I’m totally relaxed and wonder if I’ll start to freak out as my ski time approaches. My arms are okay, still taking anti- inflammatory pills and muscle rub. I have just been chilling out today.

I won’t be skiing until Tuesday the earliest, the reason is that skiers are all ranked by score and the higher ranking skiers ski later in the week. There are four groups for Senior Men Slalom and I’m in Group A. Another four groups for Senior Men Tricks, and I’m in either Group B or A. Hope to be in Group A (ego).

No comments:

Post a Comment