Saturday, August 14, 2010

David Small

Yesterday it felt so good to ski well, I can't explain the feeling. I've
NEVER skied so bad in Slalom in my life, of course missing the start created
a cascading impact on my score of 4.1. Yes, the water played with my head,
the driver was terrible, but that's no excuse. The biggest obstacle was that
I wasn't prepared physically; mentally I rushed the start, totally my fault.
I ski today one last time in Tricks Semi's but I'll not advance to finals;
I've made my point, I can ski with the best of them with my head held proud.
What happens in semi's is not important, but I would like to have the handle
at both ends.

Yesterday was emotion as David Jump Record (that he held for six years) was
broken by Henrich Sam of South Africa. I think David was stunned, I know all
in the stands were. He was just behind me and you could see that he was
truly determined to not let Henrick leave with the Record. Then on David's
first jump, it exceeds Henrick jump by over 1 meter, then to really make a
point, on his second jump, it's ANOTHER meter further than his previous one.
It brought tears to many, and for sure goose pimples to most (I had the good
pimples).

David mum and dad watch him perform (they have never seen him ski a Worlds)
and I was next to her when it occurred; you could see the 'mom' satisfaction
in her face.

No comments:

Post a Comment